If your homeschooled student, male or female, has shown interest in entering the military, you will want to be sure to attend this event. All five millitary academies accept homeschoolers, who have been eligible for Tier 1 status since 2007. Although there are some differences in requirements for admission between the academies, the key steps are very similar.
Academies are looking for:
- Strong college-prep acadmic classes for all four years
- Two years of a modern foreign language
- Emphasis on a rigorous Physical Education program, particularly competitive high school sports
- Ongoing involvement in extra-curricular activities
- Demonstration of leadership skills in various settings
- Graduation from a homeschool program
- Completed high school transcript
- Score of 50 or above on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) exam
- SAT or ACT test scores in lieu of class rank
Part of the application process includes a Congressional nomination by your state senator.
Since the process is rather inolved and rigorous, it is highly recommended that potential applicants begin the steps as early in high school as possible. This conference will provide the details that you need to be well-prepared for the admission proceudres when the time is right.
Filed under: Community Chronicles, Free Stuff and Great Deals, Home School Helps and Resources | Tagged: Air Force Academy, Coast Guard Academy, homeschool, Merchant Marine Academy, military, military academies, Naval Academy, West Point |