Covenant Home School Resource Center (CHSRC) in Central Phoenix is the only brick and mortar location in the state for meeting a number of homeschool needs in one stop. In operation since 2001, the non-profit center is a treasure trove of materials, services, enrichment resources and encouragement. Even though the facility is small and unassuming in appearance, it houses an influential core component of the homeschool community in the Phoenix area.
Staffed by three women, two of whom are part-timers, CHSRC has been an integral part of the lives of thousands of families. The center’s mission is “Equipping Families for a Successful Homeschool Journey”, and that has been carried out in several ways.
- Homeschool curriculum: With a new and used bookstore on the premises, homeschoolers can personally investigate materials before purchasing to make sure they will fit the needs of the children. Parents can save a lot of money since they don’t pay tax or shipping for the books that are on hand, and regular sale days guarantee even better bargains.
- Supplemental classes for homeschoolers: With a focus on science lab classes, art and Spanish, students get quality small group instruction in some of the subjects more difficult to do at home. The fall schedule will be posted annually in early April.
- Testing for homeschool students: Although testing is not required for homeschoolers, many want to see the children’s progress and areas of strength. CHSRC does group Iowa testing in March and June of each year, and the PSAT in October.
- Free money for books, classes and testing: CHSRC encourages families to take part in the Basha’s and Fry’s program for non-profits. Portions of purchases made at these stores through a special gift card will be rebated back to the center under the family name. The money can be banked and used for any of the materials and services offered by Covenant.
- Homeschool photo IDs: These are good for great discounts at bookstores, teaching and office supply stores, field trips
- Facebook page: Like this page and learn about homeschooling field trips and family friendly events and great freebies. Post information about your upcoming events that are open to homeschoolers.
- Special events and workshops: Each year, homeschool speakers or service providers seek out CHSRC as a venue for holding their events. It is centrally located in the valley, and the room rental rates are great bargains.
Where to go
Location: Covenant Home School Resource Center
1114 E. Devonshire Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85014
Contact information: Phone: 602 277-3497 E-mail: email@example.com
Hours of operation: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
One Saturday each month from 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Ways you can help:
- Donate empty ink cartridges
- Donate your used curriculum (and get a coupon for 50% off your next used purchase)
- Donate your Box Tops for Education (found on many General Mills products) which are worth 10 cents each for the organization.
- Give a gift certificate From CHSRC to a homeschooling friend.
- Cash donations are always appreciated, as well.
Homeschool families in Arizona have found the staff and services of Covenant Home School Resource Center to be invaluable in their homeschooling journeys. It is definitely a must-visit for anyone considering or new to the adventure of teaching your children at home.