In addition to earning free Diamondbacks tickets and other prizes through the Phoenix metro city libraries, homeschool students and other scholars can participate in the Maricopa County Library summer reading program. The theme of Our State, Our Story focuses on the Arizona Centennial, and there are numerous enrichment events to learn more about our state’s history.
The program begins May 24 and ends July 21, 2012. All ages from birth to adult are invited to take part. All of the Maricopa County Regional Library branches are involved, and many have kickoff celebrations as noted.
Maricopa County Regional Library branches:
- Aguila Branch
- El Mirage Branch
- Fairway Branch
- Fountain Hills Branch: May 31 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Mother Goose Story Time from 10-11 a.m. for ages 0-5.
Face Painting from 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
Roping Reynosos, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Rope trick demonstration and introduction to cattle ranching in Arizona. A display of charro items will also be presented.
Craft Table – Arizona Quilt Blocks For Project Linus from 12 noon-3 p.m.
Teens: 10 a.m.-12 noon in the Centennial Courtyard. Enjoy your friends, snacks, a rock concert, and prizes.
- Gila Bend Branch
- Goodyear Branch
- Guadalupe Branch
- Hollyhock Branch
- Litchfield Park Branch
- North Valley Regional: May 30 from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Spin the prize wheel, make a paper animal. At 10:30 a.m. enjoy a magic show with magician Craig Davis.
- Northwest Regional: May 24 from 9:15-10:15 a.m. Puppet show for all ages
- Perry Branch Gilbert
- Queen Creek Branch
- Robson Branch
- Southeast Regional: May 22 at 10:30 a.m. Western theme
- Sun City Branch: May 26 from 10-11 a.m.
- White Tank Branch
The summer reading program with the county libraries presents a great opportunity to start a homeschool unit study on Arizona’s 100 years of statehood.