April is replete with thoughts of ending the current school year and thinking ahead to the next year of homeschooling. In the Phoenix area, homeschool groups are starting to wind down their activites for the summer, and families are bracing for the heat that is beginning. Hard-core academics may be harder to accomplish as the studies come to an end, but there are still ways to stir the interest of your students.
With numerous special days and weeks for the month, a holiday themed unit study may be just the break and inspiration that you need to keep going. This list is just a sampling of the numerous special days compiled by Brownielocks.com:
- Confederate History Month
- Financial Literacy Month
- Holy Humor Month
- Honor Society Awareness Month
- Jazz Appreciation Month
- Keep America Beautiful Month
- Math Awareness Month
- Autism Awareness Month
- Month of the Young Child
- Month of the Military Child
- National DNA & Genomics & Stem Cell Month
- National Youth Sport Safety Month
- Pet First Aid Awareness Month
- National Severe Storm Preparedness Week
- Spring Astronomy Week
All year long free activities in the Phoenix area
- Free museum admissions at selected venues and days
- Check out the great restaurants that provide free meals to kids or the birthday person.
Local Phoenix area events are listed below and those with * are available nationwide.
- 22-28: Register for the Service Academies Conference April 28
- 22-28: Register for the Arizona Families for Home Education Convention July 20-21
- 22-28: Register for the Book It! Preschool reading program* March 5-April 27
- 22-28: Register for the Book It! program for K-6th grade* Deadline is June
- 22-28: Purchase your tickets for the May 12 Free2Laugh comedy fundraiser to benefit StreetLightUSA and sex trafficked girls
- 22-28: Register for June 5-6 Iowa testing at Covenant Home School Resource Center
- 22-28: Register for July 20-21 29th Annual AFHE Home Education Convention
- 22-28: Register for July 21 AFHE Junior High Graduate Recognition Ceremony
Deadline is June 11
- 28: Service Academies Conference
Other Events and Opportunities
- Jan Parsons creates a full schedule of cultural field trips in the Phoenix area for any homeschoolers (plays, symphony, concerts etc.)
- Homeschool support groups have a variety of events, outings, classes, speakers
Whatever your interests, there is probably a homeschool event in the Phoenix area that will be a great fit.
If you have an event that you would like to have featured on this column, please send an email with the details. The more advance notice that is given, the more opportunity homeschoolers in Phoenix and surrounding areas will have to know about it and put it on their calendars.