Spring is officially here, and what better reason for homeschool families to celebrate with some of the great opportunities this week. Of course, in Phoenix, we haven’t had to dig out of several feet of snow as did the folks in northern Arizona and around the country last weekend. Rain or shine, the Valley of the Sun has wonderful weather this time of year.
The whole month of March is full of fun and educational special days that are recognized nationally or by special interest groups. Here are a few that would make great homeschool unit study or action topics.
- Expanding Girls’ Horizons in science and math month (Great opportunities at Arizona State University for teachers in the STEM fields)
- Honor Society Awareness Month (Did you know that Arizona was one of the first states to start a chapter of Eta Sigma Alpha Homeschool Honor Society?)
- International Womens Month/National Women’s History Month (Who are some women heroes of Arizona? Did you know that Sandra Day O’Connor, the first female Supreme Court Justice was homeschooled in Arizona?)
- National Craft Month can be celebrated by making a kite to honor National Kite Month
All year long
- Free museum admissions at selected venues and days
The Arizona Historical Society in Tucson has a display of 100 quilts that ties in to
Women’s History Month and Arizona’s Centennial
- Check out the great restaurants that provide free meals to kids or the birthday person.
- 25-31: Register for the Service Academies Conference April 28
- 25-31: Register for the Arizona Families for Home Education Convention July 20-21
- 25-31: Register for the Book It! Preschool reading program March 5-April 27
- 25-31: Register for the Book It! program for K-6th grade Deadline is June
- 25-31: Purchase a half-price Phoenix Coyotes ticket for April 3
- 25-31: Register yourself or a friend for the April 6 Getting Started with Homeschooling Workshop
- 25-31: Purchase your tickets for the May 12 Free2Laugh comedy fundraiser to benefit StreetLightUSA and sex trafficked girls
- 25-31: Register for June 5-6 Iowa testing at Covenant Home School Resource Center
- 25-31: Register for July 20-21 29th Annual AFHE Home Education Convention
- 25-31: Register for July 21 AFHE Junior High Graduate Recognition Ceremony
Deadline is June 11
Other Events and Opportunities
- Jan Parsons creates a full schedule of cultural field trips in the Phoenix area for any homeschoolers (plays, symphony, concerts etc.)
- Homeschool support groups have a variety of events, outings, classes, speakers
Whatever your interests, there is probably a homeschool event in the Phoenix area that will be a great fit.
If you have an event that you would like to have featured on this column, please send an email with the details. The more advance notice that is given, the more opportunity homeschoolers in Phoenix and surrounding areas will have to know about it and put it on their calendars.